View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Power User

Been way to busy with work to do much more with this other than think up possible modifications. Rummaged around the scrap heap tonight and pulled the oddball rear axle assembly i had buried in it and dragged it into the garage. Took awhile but i finally found that it's the rear out of a kawasaki Bayou. No parts numbers or ID anywhere on it, so i can't tell the year or exact model 220 or 300, likely late 80s early 90s. Weird setup with a single large brake drum/hub on one side and plain hub on the other. Not sure if it's supposed to, but it acts like an open differential. input ratio is one driveshaft rev = about 1/4 turn of the wheel, so if i couple this to the 250 i can go 1:1 into the jackshaft and have real creeper low gears.

Down side is that it's narrow at around 35 inches at the outside of the hubs. that could be addressed with rim offsets and spacers.

Up side is a that i could mount the 250 sideways to the main frame, run a combination jackshaft/driveshaft and set this up as a four-link coil-over rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (50.5 KB, 40 views)