View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Power User

best thing to do is figure in possible tire size upgrades by jacking it up, pulling the shocks and measuring existing radius in turning position/suspension cycle and seeing what you have clearance-wise. then you'll know what you can do with it and add something that won't interfere. i took the route of welding nuts to the inside top and bottoms of the frame tubes and cutting sheet metal to fit between. definitely made a big difference and i don't take them off no matter what season--little colder up here though. i'd do the same if i went with expanded metal--i'd weld washers to the expanded, nuts to the frame and do them as bolt-ins between the tubes. when you need to work on the front end, (brakes/gas pedals, shocks, a-arms, rack etc.) it's nice to have them be removable. I took my front fenders off for visibility reasons and they need to go back on as i've pitched some pretty nasty chunks off them. -- best reminder to put them on was catching an old rusty, heavy hinge-half in mid air as it went for my face off the front tire.