Thread: Short Belt Life
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Supporting Vendor

The small sprocket is a 16 tooth. I was not refering to the sprockets but the final drive gearing. This is inside the case behind the clutch. You will have to remove the cover held on with 8) 8mm bolts. Knowing that your sprockets are 39 and 16 tooth (39~16=2:44 sprocket ratio) and I believe the 2005 gears in final drive to be 38 and 16 teeth
(38~16=2:38 final drive ratio. Now take the sprocket ratio of 2:44 X final gear ratio of
2:38 = 5:81 ~2= total ratio of 2:90) this ratio is good for top end but poor on hills the more weight in the buggy the harder it is on the belt. Now lets go with the common final drive gear ratio of 3:08 13 and 40 teeth gears. (Sprocket ratio 2:44 X final drive ratio 3:08 =7:52 ~2 =total ratio of 3:76) With this ratio you will climb just about anything with a properly tunned cvt. 2:90 vs. 3:76. I believe this to be your problem. So you will need to pull the final drive cover and count teeth on the gears. You need to put that gear back behind the variator for it supports the variator. With out it the variator hole will waddle out since there is very little support since there is only about a 1/8" step on the crank and is not enough to support that variator. If it wears it will deffinately cause broken belts. Just make sure you install the gear immediately after taking it out of the freezer overnight and tightening the variator nut using a 1/2" impact. This will seat the gear to the full rear position.

TOM