View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 11:08 PM
Contributor

Default Update OMG what now, OK what the heck, then thank god

Ok so wanted to give an update on where im at.

Got the buggy engine all put back together with new gaskets and went to fire her up.

Cranked for a few seconds but before I could get her to fire had a really bad metal on metal sound that came out of no where. I had run the engine over by hand several times before trying to start with no issues so this was something new.

Stopped immediately and tried to turn the motor over by hand to locate the sound and had a lot of resistance and a clear metal on metal scrape most of the way through the engine rotation. This is the OMG what now part.

Couldn't tell for sure where the sound was coming from and had no reason to think it was coming from anywhere else so I proceeded to tear the top end back down. At this point I was guessing that it was probably an oil ring on the piston has gotten bent and stuck between the piston and cylinder wall.

Well I got her tore down all the way to removing the wrist pin from the piston and could not find anything wrong. Now im at the what the heck stage cause the whole top is off but the scrape is still there.

To very slowly I rock the piston connecting rod and there is no scrape.
Start feeling around on the case and it felt like the scrape was coming from inside the CVT cover.

So I pull the CVT cover thinking the worst.
Fortunately it was nothing bad.
When I put the engine back together I left the shroud off so that I could watch for leaks planning to put it back on once I completed the break in period. Well to make sure I didn't lose the bolts for the shroud I put them back into their holes on the engine. Well the source of my noise and resistance turned out to be one of the shroud bolts on the front of the engine in front of the variator had vibrated enough to tighten its self down and since the hole went through the case the bolt tip ran down until just able to make contact with the back edge of the variator in the back.

I was able to back the bolt out and there was lilt to no damage to the back edge corner of the variator.

So the good news was it was nothing bad the bad news was I tore the entire top end off the motor again and didn't need to.

So where am I at right now
Well I got the top put back together again but ran out of time to get the exhaust and CVT cover back on. Yes I used new gaskets again. Thank god I ordered more than 1 set. put the ones I took off up as emergency back ups. May not have needed to change them but didn't want to take the chance.

While I had it off I decided to go ahead and paint the cover figured what the heck why not make it look nicer.

Unfortunately now my weekend is over so I wont get the chance to finish putting her back together till probably Saturday. Cant wait to get the break in finished.