View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Let's get started by stripping everything off the swingarm- axle,brakes,electricbox,battery, ect.... You need to be able to work on the swingarm from all angles.Clearly I can see that this engine isn't going to fit in the original support rails- so let's get them out of the way.You can cut with either a reciprocating saw,portable band saw,jig saw or with a cutting disk on a grinder (a hacksaw for the die-hards).I used a 4" grinder w/ cutting disks as these allow for ease of use and cleaning up the left-over material.Set the engine in the swingarm and get your clearances for the brake rotor and anything else that sets in the swingarm.This engine has a right angle output shaft so the motor will sit sideways like the newer ATV engines do.If you use the newer type shaft/chain drive ATV motor the configuration would be normal. After cutting all that away I decided to slide the center support rail closer to the disk rotor by 1/2" and rolled it on it side to give me more surface area for the engine support plate to sit on.I blocked the engine up to verify the oil drain plug would be accessible.Using a framing square and finding an engine seam you can align the motor.