View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Lets get the engine setting in the swingarm by making some support brackets. I make templates from paper as I can mark, cut and modify them with little to no effort or cost.You can use the original suport brackets that came off the ATV if it's easier (usually a lot less fabricating).After setting the engine in the swingarm level and in the near finished location I can check the new brackets for alignment and fit.Never set an engine directly on the swingarm frame-always allow some clearance.The engine supports should do exactly that "support the engine".I've allowed a 1/4" clearance and made a footplate that will slide on another tube member.I drilled a hole 1-1/2" apart and cut the center out for a slotted hole for the engine to adjust the chain slack.Bolted the brackets on the motor and marked where the footplate sat and welded a tube rail for it to slide on.I made the footplate longer to the front of the engine to allow for support under torque load.Once the new rails were added I marked the bottom for an angle plate- this provides 2 functions-end stop for adjusting bolt and to help the engine slide straighter forward when adjusting the chain.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 02-16-2011 at 10:00 PM.