View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

With the motor secure let's deal with how to make this shaft drive a chain drive.When I bought this engine I got the drive shaft to ensure I'd have the correct spline.I already know that I'm using #530 chain so you'll need to get a sprocket to match the chain you intend on using.Measure the output shaft on the motor and add at least a 1/4" to it ,then cut that length off the splined end of the drive shaft.I had to cut the splined shaft off the GY6 sprocket too.Your sprocket will probably already be flat or without a sideshaft.I leveled the sprocket in the vise and plumbed the splined portion of the driveshaft-I found a bolt that was the right diameter to fit in the splines and extend enough to put a torpedo level on it.This task is critical--check with level in at least four locations-Take your time & CHECK IT AGAIN.Too much wobble can cause vibration and short output shaft life.Tac it and check it again!!I made 3 passes just too be sure of good attatchment since I'm only welding it from one side.Clean up the weld to help balance it.