View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Lurker

ok... i loke your work here... it is very, very simular to my first monster buggy. I had purchased a sunL from a guy named "newbuggier" from buggynews, with a honda TRX300 4X4 motor shaft drive installed. After riding for only a few days, we found that the welds just wouldnt hold with the sprocket on the motor, even with a lock nut installed, the torque and rough terrain kept snapping the sprocket off the shaft... We eventually came up with the idea of running a jack shaft to more evenly distribute the tension... Again, our welds never sucessfully held up to the torque like we anticipated... I sent the sprocket, the spline shaft, and our 1" bar to a machine shop and had them assemble it as one peice... Thats right about when I found out that the original fabricator made NO provisions for engine tension adjustment or axle adjustment to tension the chain... on top of that, he welded the 530 sprocket to the axle, making it permanent, and also, not able to adjust or flip to align with our new jack shaft. So the project is sitting right now, for about 2 years, lol, without any progress because we know what needs to be done... The whole engine cradle needs to be re-engineered with adjustability in mind, as well as a whole new rear axle design so that the sprockets will line up properly, without having to be welded...

All in due time!!! lol

I like your craftsmanship, and your attention to detail... I really hope yours works much better than mine, and I can copy yours!!!! lol

John