View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

I never know what information maybe helpful for someone or what other application it may be applied to: This is the simple chain tensioner I made for this project. I tried a different method for mounting this engine just to see what's the easiest to build and maintain. These engine mounts don't have any adjustment for the chain other than this chain tensioner. Normally the slotted plates/brackets for bolt adjustment takes quite a bit of fabrication time- but allows versatility through wear and tear. The tensioner took about an hour to make and is really simple in design & material, if it failed I could make another one pretty quick. I turned the skateboard wheel on the "redneck lathe" (drill press) just using a sharp chisel the right width of the chain- took about 10 minutes. The reason I continue to use skateboard wheels other than the availibilty and low cost is, they are hard enough to do the job yet soft enough not to wear out the chain- also they nearly always have high speed bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chain tensioner 2.jpg (40.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg chain tensioner 3.jpg (37.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg chain tensioner 4.jpg (39.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg chain tensioner 5.jpg (38.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg chain tensioner.JPG (59.1 KB, 135 views)