View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

I post failures as well as success's!!! The weather turned nice so we took this project out for a beating. After a couple of hours chasing each other through the trails my son decided to do a bunch of donuts on our track. I parked and was going to get the video camera and I hear a strange grinding/skipping noise. So I had him pull it in the mancave- The motor looks wraped/cock-eyed in the swingarm. Investigating for metal to metal contact and it's the bolts holding the disk brake rotor(pic below). Further investigation leads to a warped/bent swingarm. This little motor is only about 14-18hp which isn't much more than the GY6. Proof that any additional HP should be dealt with re-enforcement!!! In the pic's you can see the bow, and changes in dimension from front to rear (1/4"). Though not a radical change it caused damage. Since this much warping occurred in such a short time I've pulled it all apart and rebuilding the swingarm. The chain tensioner did well, but since I'm rebuilding the swingarm I'm adding 2" to the length to allow for engine adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00897.jpg (37.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00893.jpg (43.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00896.jpg (32.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00894.jpg (29.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00895.jpg (35.4 KB, 69 views)