View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
Where's the engine mass in relation to the rear axle, in front or behind? Likewise, maybe not from big hits, but harmonics from a lot of short, rapid suspension oscillations ... do you ride on any washboarded-out trails/roads?
Axle placement is seldom based off engine mass on this or stock, wheel base is nearly always the criteria. When in stock form the engine mass is similar to my transplant. The GY6 shouldn't cause any serious stress near or at the axle as the supports are loaded to the front & rear of the swingarm & IMO an excellent design for weight distribution.
All our trails are rough-even the smoother ones due to lot's of big chunks of crystal as this was gold mine property back in the late 1800's- so it's all a washboard effect on the chassis.
The smoothest area we have is an old paintball arena where the kid's are always doing donuts in my vid's.
My new swingarm (almost complete-holiday weekend delays) is made of much heavier steel which it should've had from the start (had I realized how thin the stock swingarm rails were) to tolerate the constant beating. The thin material and my added holes & welding were definite contributors to the failure.