View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb GTS Hammer Head gets a Ninja EX250F motor

I bought a used HH GTS - CFMoto250 for $250.- (99% complete & not all rusted) a little expensive but figuring I could get it to function with parts I already have. Typical used Chinese buggy though: not running,rotting seats, been rolled,wiring hacked up,bald tires,dirty carb,ect... I didn't realize just the CVT cover that was missing would be nearly impossible to find-new or used. After searching for parts for months with no success I decided to just re-power it with something I already have that's water-cooled.I have '83 Honda VFR700 & '03 VF750 (both V-4's). Pulled the motor out of the HH & sold it cheap the next day. While brainstorming how to wedge one of the HUGE/HEAVY(175lbs.) Honda V-4's in it a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 bike came up for sale w/171 actual miles on it for $500. That's about what I'd need to spend on the big Honda motors to function.
I contacted him to verify the info as it only had 1 pic with the ad showing no front fairing,cracked front fender,broke turn signal, everything else looks near new only it's very dusty. My guess was -It got laid down @ slow speed & scared the first time rider. I was close- it got pawned after it was laid down for many years. Someone has tried to start it over the last 16yrs - they stripped every screw on the carb bowls & used starter fluid to start it. The last pic shows what starter fluid sprayed in the air inlet on a CV carb does to the diaphragm instead of spraying in the butterfly opening. It's not getting started on the bike now -it's new so little doubt about it running.This motor seems ideal-it has double the HP of the CFMoto250, double the torque & rev's up around 14,000rpm vs the CFMoto's 6,000rpm. This should make it a dirt/mud slinger The Kawasaki EX250's are a dime a dozen, proven reliability & get 50-70 MPG. Parts are readily available & affordable. It should push this buggy around very well without applying extreme forces over it's intended design.I haven't weighed the motor yet but it can't be much heavier than the CFMoto if any. I just have to pull the motor out of the bike to get the build underway.Pic's show what I started with. Hopefully this build will provide some info that others could use if they decide to re-power their buggy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HH SS build 011.jpg (53.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg HH SS build 010.jpg (61.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HH SS build 013.jpg (65.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HH SS build 002.jpg (65.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg HH SS build 009.jpg (60.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HH SS build 001.jpg (36.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg carb 001.jpg (43.4 KB, 12 views)