View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

I moved the stick shifter to the passenger side & welded another connection tab for the shifter cable. Most shifter cables (Morse type) start @ about $60. for one's that are short enough for this size buggy, While I was shopping I came across an E-bay ad for a John Deere Gator cable- I sent the seller a question about the length and it would work. The cables were take-off's from new parted out Gator's, I bought all 3 that he had for $30.each-so I got 3 heavy duty cables for the price of one!!!

peace kart 004.jpg

I had to come up with an ignition panel of some type & I wanted to relocate it from the steering wheel area. Don't know what the little aluminum box came off of but it was small and easy to add the key switch (china made ATV ignition) and the neutral/reverse indicator lights (lights came from a bass boat) mounted near the stick shift for easy viewing.

peace kart 006.jpg

I still have lot's of items to fabricate to make it functional, one very important item is a chain tensioner. Most Honda TRX200SX engines get damage at the sprocket/stator housing because the 4 wheeler didn't have any type of tensioner and when these 4 wheelers get thrashed for years with no attention to the chain it ends up rubbing a groove into the aluminum case or a hole into the engine. Untill I fabricate a tensioner I added a block of LLDPE plastic (used for load bearing contact) to protect the housing from damage.

peace kart 007.jpg

I read thru many posts about individuals wanting to put this type engine into a kart/buggy and getting hung up with the need for a jack-shaft. I've been putting this engine in my toys since 2011 and never needed to add a jack-shaft to make it work-I understand the use of a jack-shaft but I wouldn't want to add the expense/engineering/maintenance that goes with one unless there wasn't any other viable option.More to come!