View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny 5 View Post
I tried the 9/10.5 rollers first on the dr2 with the 18x14 variator and it would rev high all the time, like 7000 rpms at full throttle on take off untill the shift is maxed out and would hit 8200rpm and it was done. I switched to 10/11 sliders and it felt better, couldnt really feel the shift with the 9/10 rollers.

This is on the blue 183cc motor that has good torque and with the 31/16t set up it slips the clutch on take off and lets the motor rev up too fast and shifts up then the clutch grabs and it boggs. I tried another thicker clutch and same thing on take off it slips the clutch hard, also have a ncy cluth bell with the holes for cooling.

That is why I am putting the 39t sprocket back on and hoping to get a little more speed with the motorio pulley, if that dosnt work probally will try the 14/38 2.70 internal gears
that will put it kinda in the middle of the 39/31 rear sprockets. Cant find a 35t bolt on sprocket, atvsonline says they have a 31/35/39t sprockets but the 35t is on back order.
Also this buggy is for my wife and son and needs to go through sandy river beds without slowing down.

The red buggy with the kid n me dr2 with the 20mm rollers has a awesome upshift feel. You can hear it in the motor/exhaust when it revs high on take off and then it shifts and has a good pull. Running 8/9 rollers and they feel like the 10/11 sliders .

I think the larger rollers have more leverage and that is why it runs good with the lightest set. When we first tried the 20mm dr2 we ran the 11/9 rollers and it shifted like the stock variator with the 14 gram rollers. Went to 10/8 and still shifted too fast, last fall I ran the 9/8 combo and am done with changing weight this is the sweet spot for the red buggy. Last trip was when I added the .80mm shim to spread the pulley a bit and it is perfect. I wasnt able to get the TTO mini tachometer to work on this buggy so no rpm data. I had to add wire to it and the guage was too thick and killed the signal.
Its funny you mention the sound it made when it hit its shift point on the variator. I notice it to when it switches from the 9 to the 10.5. I have some 8g rollers coming in and am planning on using them on the low side and maybe the 9g on the heavy side.

Slestak...What part do you adjust for the groove? The only thing i was abe to tell when i had the pulley before install was how it spins and opens up. Any help in swapping it over would be greatly appreciated.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust