View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Lite Contributor

Well I finally made some progress. I rebuilt the carbs and got it running again. I previously couldn't get the clutch to disengage so I tore it apart, (I'm good at that), cleaned it up and when I couldn't find anything wrong, I put it back together. But then it wouldn't run so I had to order kits for the carbs. Getting it running again finally, I could recheck the clutch. And magically it's working. So I checked a few things and decided it was time for a road trip. I made it around to the front of the house and turned around, (tried to turn around). But, my little road test gave me some insight.
1st, I have to fabricate a linkage for the forward reverse lever. Especially since 2nd, it can't turn around any better than my big truck. 3rd, there is 0 zero weight on the front end. So, now I have a couple of concrete blocks hanging off the front to see if that helps. 4th, it binds when I turn the front wheels. Not sure if that's from sitting for years or other issues. I've dismantled the ball joints and tire rod ends and greased them, no help. Didn't expect steering issues. 5th, still need tuning work. 6th, I need to make the clutch a floor pedal, the hand clutch is just too confusing. 7th even with all it's problems it's gonna be fast! I goosed it a little around the corner and it just took off, then I gave it more and the chain started rattling. So, 8 is I need to sort out the rattle so I can goose it again!

Question: For the manual steering racks, is there grease or oil inside? Are they hard to disassemble and clean?