View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Lite Contributor

Update on the build Feb 2016
I’ve been having fun test driving and even though I have a pretty good handle on the controls, it’s not something just anyone can pick up quickly. So I made the decision to move the clutch to the floor.
I took the gas pedal that has a distinct appearance of a clutch pedal and uses the same type of cable, and cut a section out of the mounting bar and moved it to the left of the brake pedal. After moving the brake assembly over a bit, there is still room for a new gas pedal.

Before

After

I found an import gas pedal at the wrecking yard and mounted it to the bar giving me a pretty good looking from a functional standpoint. I’ll tac weld it in place once I know I like the position.

Moved motorcycle shifter to the dash and redesigned it to be more solid, easier to shift. Still has some give, I need to work on that. Now I need to find a knob for the SunL F-N-R shifter. The cable doesn’t get in the way, but may be an issue if someone is sliding over to take the wheel or if bodies are flying around inside the buggy. So, full belts are required. On that note, I moved some of the roll bar padding to be more protective of the passengers.

After taking it out in the mud I decided we needed front fenders, (wings), Here is the first one. I figured Red Bull stickers might work well here. I saw several other fender options. The problem is when the tires are turned, so fixed fender won’t really work if they are behind the tires, so I covered the area that would be hit when the wheels are turned. Seems to work fine.

Added another bar on each side to the roll cage. I feel a bit better. It's still too tall, but makes it easier for us old people to get in and out. Plus I'll build a rack of some sort to carry things or just to provide some shade.

Added a chain tensioner since the chain was doing weird things and even locked up once. The tensioner works great.

I redid the geometry on the gas pedal so it wouldn’t be so touchy. Every bump would cause a big surge in gas creating a wild ride.
I took it out and parked it on the steepest hill I could find. Then just drove up it. Awesome. Haven’t been able to do that without lugging the engine. It helps when I know I'm in 1st gear.

Finally, I took it down into the back yard, (some 3-4 acres of play area) and had no problem climbing back up the hill. They aren't really steep, maybe 20 degrees, but steep enough to give it a good test.

Planned changes,
For now, nothing but cleaning up some items like wiring, reworking the chain guard to fit around the tensioner, tack weld the gas pedal since I like the position.

Adding some rear fenders
A rack, since the roll bar is so high, I’ll had a rack under the bars. Possibly another on the rear of the buggy and again maybe on the front.
Then maybe some heavier springs to keep it from bottoming out due to the extra weight!
Or, as I said earlier nothing. I’ll just go drive it.