View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Power User

Getting into crunch time again.

rather than take the next logical step of building new steering arms onto the spindles and finishing, i decided convert from through-bolt mounts to heims on the a-arms. Broke out the ultra fancy band saw for that delicate job. for some reason it still always needs a file/square-check/file job done after every cut it makes!

getting the heim to clear the inner structure meant bumping out the mount point.
Had to hog out the old hole to make room to get the bolt and socket in.

Overall, the arms are longer with the heims, but I got rid of my 2-inch wheel spacers ( the type that threads onto each lug individually) so track width is within 1/2 inch of the original and the a-arm end is tucked in much tighter to the wheel.

At full sag (which can go to 43 degrees if i want), without the shocks, i've dropped nearly 4 pounds of unsprung weight off each side. So far only 1 upper is finished, lower still needs mount plates, but i figured my approach to those out today. replicating the other side will go a lot quicker. got a lot to cut out for the lowers. In addition to the a-arms i've probably chopped another 10 pounds of sprung weight off the front end

Then it's off to the steering arms and tie rods.

ever hear the phrase .. "I'm just gonna ...."?