View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Power User

Went on the weight weenie attack over the last week or so since the buggy piggy bank has gone bone dry. Stared at it long enough to mentally list all the items that could be lightened or eliminated (unneeded braces, brackets etc. from past build configurations).

My original body panels were made from 16 gauge steel, had a sheet of 20 or 22 gauge rusting away under the firebird. Made and weighed a panel to compare to the old an original and found about a 40 percent difference, so it got new panels and a new look.

I figure if i can't outrun the razors on the open flats, maybe i can blind them when they look in their mirrors and get them to run off course

Knocked 7 1/2 pounds off with the panels, even after adding in two at the rear sides that I didn't get to when i went with the IRS, and about 11 pounds off with the excess remnants of past builds etc. Combined with the 12 or so i cut with the elimination of the rear jackshaft, and she's seen a 30-pound drop. I still have the rear platform and am mulling over getting rid of the front fenders. That'd be another 10+ pounds.

Did a couple carb tweaks (dropped the needle, bigger main) and it's running about as good or better than it ever has. was pulling 30 about halfway through third gear before running out of room in the backyard. Plug is showing rich, but i had a long idle period with it and can't tell if that contaminated it or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (99.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg p2.jpg (97.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg p3.jpg (98.0 KB, 22 views)