View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 07:24 PM
Lurker

Question Carter talon gx150IIR

I have owned this cart for several years. It ran great the first couple of years then it wouldn’t start. It would turn over but wouldn’t fire. Long story short, it got placed in my uncles shed for almost two years. My kids began to bug me about getting it running again this spring (and rightfully so&#128521. So, after some research I discovered that the excitor coil wasn’t working. I replaced the stator and then I had spark. I had picked up a replacement carb as the original one was completely gummed up. We checked the valve lash, replaced the spark plug, carb, and intake. It fired right up and ran good—for about 5-7 minutes. Once the engine warmed, it was like it was being starved for fuel or spark. Cold, it starts and runs good except in the higher rpm ranges or heavier loads. When it fails, it sputters and dies. You can start it with some difficulty but it won’t stay running. Today, my buddy stopped by with a spark indicator to put between the plug and the plug wire...spark wasn’t regular when the engine wouldn’t start. Is this due to the CDI or??? Any help and direction to a reliable parts supplier would be great for this newbie!