View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Drilling Rear Shaft for cotter pin...

Was pondering how to lock the castle nut in place on my GY6 rear shaft. I saw a bunch of posts that recommended Loctite and no drilling. Note: This posting is for those that bought an engine without the rear shaft cross drilled to retain the castle nut.

I didn't listen but soon found out one reason people like Loctite... Drilling that hardened steel is a real pain. I have a mixture of 1/8" bits, cobalt high speed steel titanium etc... Broke every last one of them trying to put a hole through this thing. Note: I maintain slight pressure on the drill at a slow speed and I center punched the shaft.

I about gave up until I read that someone was using masonry bits to go through hardened steel. I bought two bits and used a bit of cutting oil. Broke one bit because I failed to recognize when the bit was near the center of the shaft. Nothing a couple of dental picks and pin punches didn't take care of.

FWIW ... Did I truly need to drill the shaft for a cotter pin ? Lowe's sells them under the Bosch name item number 143555 about $ 3.48. Don't use it in hammer mode. Yes, it would have been nicer to set this up under the drill press but somehow convinced myself that a hand drill should be able to do the job.