View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
It's very, very common to use cone or misalignment spacers with heims to increase the clearance angles. In the past, i've made the same setup using lug nuts. the spacers were actually pretty easy and quick to mod once i figured out the method to do it.
I am actually looking at high misalignment spacers with 1/2" joints for the outers to see if that cures my issue. Right now if the tie rod tube was straight, the out joint would max out with a 10" shock installed. I want to be able to run a 12-13" shock out front for max articulation and full use of the balljoints. I did not realize there are no mis alignment spacers for 3/8" joints at this point, so now I need to dig up some 1/2" heims with the 3/8" spacers to get what I want. The object here is to make something that functions well, and is esthetically pleasing to me, as I will be looking at it all the time.

I have decided to cut out the existing bungs and toss the old rods/square tube, and make new ones from round tube, with left and right hand threads for easier adjustment. The only thing is the placement of the outer joint dictates how long it needs to be. I know the tie rod needs to be at the same angle as the control arms for reduced bump steer, but looking from above, if I were to run the rod at an angle closer to the ball joint, would that have any negative effect on anything?

What I am trying to do is resolve 3 things at once, lessen any bump steer, decrease turning radius by making the spindle turn more, and add some ackerman angle to attempt to get the front end geometry somewhat closer to where it should have been in the first place. I should know these things with my background, but all the racing guys around here just bolt things together, they don't actually know what they are doing.

Edit: May have found some high mis 1 piece joints for reasonable $$, is 55 degrees a substantial amount of swing for $10/ea?

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'

Last edited by Masteryota; 09-29-2013 at 09:12 AM.