View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Lurker

Default 125cc Honda Clone has failed twice in 1 month

I have a 125cc Honda Clone attached to a Tao Tao ATK125a mini go-kart and it has failed twice in the last 1 month. This is a relatively new kit that I bought from a local dealer in the DFW metroplex. The first time it failed I took it back and had their shop work on it since the parts warranty was still in effect. Now I'm on my own...

The nature of both failures is similar. One minute we're driving it without issue. We stop the engine. Then we try to re-start and it tries to turn but nothing fires up. When I had the shop look at it, they said that they had to replace the valves and adjust the timing. They also said there was a compression failure. Apparently my daughter killed it without realizing it (or pushing it very hard). I'll reserve my speech about why people shouldn't buy cheap Chinese crap for another thread.

But anyway, I am curious if anyone has ever attempted a repair on a similar or the same engine and any lessons learned or helpful links to share. I also am considering trying to find a Japanese/Honda "actual" (good quality no BS) motor to put in its place so I won't feel like I have to play so soft on it. But I cannot find out what is the motor that was cloned to even price out that option.

Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks!