View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Contributor

I took the gears out of our first engine howhitt 150 that is no longer running, and they were 40/13=3.07. The sprocket size stock 16/31 for the dune 150 with reverse.
I wanted to see how hard it was to press it off before I bought gears. I was not worried about breaking this set so I took it to work on our 20 ton press and it came off without any effort.
So pressing the gears is not hard at all, if you dont have a press any machine shop could do it, or automotive shop.
I did change our rear sprocket to 39t and it climbs and has take off but top end is about 33 mph revving beyond what is healthy, so crusing speed is about 25mph.
Both our buggies have 22/10/10 cst ambush tires with 10 gram sliders and a Dr pulley variator on the blue dune , 8/9 gram rollers Dr2 variator on the red dune.
I did order 2 35t sprockets this summer from buyatvsonline and they sent me 2 31t sprockets because the 35t is not in stock. Sucks when they advertise in stock and send you what you already have.
I am probally going to put them on because the 39t kills the pull and top speed.
I have found out that with a 150cc engine you give and take.
The challange is to find a happy medium.
That is why these buggies are so fun, low cost to modify and fun to ride.
I would try lighter sliders or rollers first because you already have them.
Sorry for the long reply just trying to help if I can.