View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.h View Post
im really hoping that this rebuild kit fits it gets here tomorrow so i will let yall know when i try to put it together fingers crossed it fits. At first i wanted the bbk too but i really didnt want to have to bore out my crankcase so i just went for the rebuild. i saw you were talking about putting a cam on it? what would that do and what is it? is it just a different size camshaft? if its cheap and easy to do then i will look into it and what kind of results does it get? sorry for all the questions lol just trying to get em all at once
No problem on the questions bro, I am not as knowledgable as Some guys on here, I just bought my hammerhead gts last christmas, however I have been doing alot of reading. This is what I know, the piston that comes in these motors is 57.4mm they have big bore kits that are 58.5mm (considered 59mm technically speaking) no case boaring required for these, it's only 1mm more but hey every little helps. Then they have the 61,62 and 63mm which you will need to bore the case for... The cams come all the way from A8-A15, u want A8 for more top speed and less torque and towards A15 more torque less top speed. They say u can't do a cam on them "p" heads do to the springs sitting higher etc. maybe on some older ones...I with out knowing this installed the A12 and clearences all look fine, starts up easy... Just need more gas... ( I made a thread about this, but not too many people are familiar with these JL1P57F motors so didn't get much feedback... The lower the cam the longer the valves stay open, the higher the cam the higher the lift on the lobe and they open more but for less time... I installed the A12 but before installing I measured the intake lobe and found my hammerhead to come with a 26.3mm on the intake lift, then I measured the A12 on the same lobe and it lifts 27.0mm ( not even 1mm difference) so like I said all clearences are fine but did gain a little more air in/out = more power... Also piston to valve clearence is fine...the lobe duration did not seem that different from each other also, so I guess in numbers they come with what many would consider aprox a A11?? ... I guess that's why my buggy felt fairly powerfull even in stock form... I am know porting and polising the intake manifold and head ports, I am also waiting on a 26mm carb and 38 pilot jet oppose to the 24mm carb it comes with. It makes sense to me as the intake valve measures 26mm on my head so I want it all from carb to exhaust to flow nicely. Anybody feel free to correct me, this is how we learn! And hope i am of some help john