View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

I doubt the 45mph. Most go by the speedo on the buggy. Not at all accurate. Most of the older buggies with exception of the 2004-2005 Carter will top out at 30mph stock and 35mph with a cam and open filter system properly jetted. The 2004-2005 (not all though) Carters would do 40-43 mph stock due to the gearing in the final drive. The downside was they would barely climb a bunny hill. The later buggies with internal reverse will do 40mph stock due to different cluster gearing in the transmission. Now being evident you lost speed this could be due to many different things, too lean a/f mixture, faulty cdi kicking in the rev limit too quickly or the cdi's timing map is not sufficient with your mods. The 30mm carb you installed actually hurts your performance since the engine will not produce the proper cfm's to efficiently operate the carb unless you had major upgrades like larger bore with at least a 3mm stroke, performance head with larger valves and runners and a custom cam with a higher lift and longer duration than what is currently offered in cams. Lastly not all cams currently offered are created equal. What I have found is that when I degree a cam I found that depending of where the cam came from, the lobe separation, open and close degrees of the intake and exhaust varied sometimes greatly. As JD stated above, this is the reason you want to do one mod at a time so you can determine as to weather it will help or hinder unless you have a supplier who you can trust knowing his product will achiev the results advertised. Recheck all your basics like spark a/f mixture, timing, valve clearance and compression. If all that checks out to be good try putting the stock cam in and see if results change.