View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Lurker

Default The Surprises Don't stop

I would like to have more photos of the process at this point but engine teardown tends to get a little too exciting in the moment to worry about cameras.

In this case the teardown process was extra exciting! after removing the carb and manifold I began taking loose the cooling shroud. As I lifted it away a full colony of roaches (maybe palmetto bugs) literally spilled out. They had been nesting in the spaces between the cooling fins of the cylinder. After engaging in some chemical warfare and winning handily, I disposed of the fallen foe and continued my investigation.

a little carbon on the pistons, but nothing looked abused. the rings, piston skirts and cylinder wall all seemed normal. No smoking gun here.

I then moved to the flywheel wanting to have a look at the electrical system hidden inside. These tools work like magic, but don't forget to grease the threads.

Don't worry, i've already counted them. 18 pole... eight-teen!!! I've seen 6, 8, 11, 12. This seems unique, but I can't reason why it's this way.