View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Supporting Vendor

The reason a stock atv engine lasts so long is due to the quality control that goes into each component, without that they would not hold up to the punishment most put to them. With that said, just look at the price of rings, gaskets, piston or whatever, they are not cheap like the Chinese parts found on e-bay or some of the sites. The same holds true for the GY6 or other Chinese built engines. A Howlet, Kinroad, Hammerhead or any major brand Chinese built atv, buggy or whatever have the quality control built in to their product. But a brand new howlet engine, or one from CPI or United Motors of Taiwan and it will sell $100.00 + then the run of the mill GY6 engine found on e-bay or elsewhere, but they will last much longer then the cheap ones. Most feel they are getting a deal when they find a carb or starter for $30.00 but those same people usually complain that the Chinese products are not as good as Honda, Polaris, ect. Well look again because all their parts are made in China. The big difference is they have a more strict quality control. Quality control costs much more because you have employees checking the metal used in the process or someone for the electrical parts all to meet their standards then the final person to check machining specs as well as assembly. Since you have a lot more people involved that you are paying a wage it costs more. I have had several discussions with people on the other forum throughout the years who claim that alll Asian products are crap and if you build a GY6 or CN-250 they will not hold up since they are a piece of crap to begin with. But yet they are the ones who shop for the cheapest price then slam the product. I have said it many times before " you get what you pay for" . The materials used in these parts are the key along with exact specs. When you do build your Yerf motor use the best parts available and you will have no problems. God knows how many hours I have on my 150 engine built in 2007 in its present form. I have had no problems out of it and I beat the living crap out of the engine. Sure when ever you push something beyond their intended purpose you will have more go wrong with it, even a $13,000.00 RZ will fail after hours of abuse.

Glad to hear your project is holding up under the abuse you are giving it. Driving it is much more fun then working on it all the time.