Thread: Mods installed
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys2 View Post
Just to be clear, when you moved the clip, you moved it down towards the needle point itself. right? If that is correct, then you ended up with a rich surge. The problem with jetting advise over the internet, is not being there in person. You can get a lean surge (running out of fuel), or a rich surge (too much fuel) and without being there, it is hard to find out which is which.

I personally hate CV carbs, I know why they use them, but jetting one is far more difficult then a carb with just a slide or butterflies.

2Slick, what type of elevation and temperature are you running at? My motor is a 170 BBK, versus your 155. I am also running the A12 cam (that I got from Tom), and my engine runs spotless from 0 feet (where I live) to the high desert (3500 feet) where it is run most of the time. My temperature readings vary from 80 degrees to the 30s (Christmas in the dessert) .

If you would like, I can pull off my carb and see what jets I am running. I have a jet chart for all of my dirt bikes, plus all 3 of my VWs with dual Webers, but I never made one for my buggy, let me know.

Jetting is part science and part art. It is actually becoming a lost art with the introduction of FI. Even in the VW crowd, most people just throw a wideband AF meter at it, and go from there.
Correct. I did move the clip towards the needle tip/ bottom which indeed raised the needle approximately 1-2mm. I had the middle throttle surge.( so must have been a rich surge)

I put clip back to where it started. Then put a 136 main jet in. That 136 main gave me top end surge. ( so I guess I am actually using the main jet)

I went back to the 134 main because I know that does not create any surge. While putting the 134 main back in I decided I will change my needle jet to see how it does. ( the needle jet i was using had a larger inner diameter hole and had 6 holes along the barrel. I put in the needle jet with the smaller I.D. and 8 holes along the barrel) That gives me pretty much the same performance but just a little increase of rumble in the exhaust after releasing throttle.

I am in northern West Virginia. I believe our approx elevation is 700' currently 40 degrees.
I appreciate the offer but, please don't go through the hassle of removing your carb
Even though you guys are not here to help, you have been a wealth of knowledge.
Maybe I am crazy and this is my peak performance. I mean it does well, I just feel like I am missing a little umphhh. Well that and some color on my plug.
I really should just leave it until 60 degree weather and see what happens

Last edited by 2SlickNick; 03-06-2014 at 12:33 PM.