View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 03:35 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee911 View Post
Yes the plugs can match if the CDI is wrong.

The easiest way to tell if you have the right CDI is pull the spark plug leave it connected and put it against the metal of the engine. Jump the solenoid and see if you get spark. If you dont the CDI could be the wrong kind or it could be bad.

If you dont get spark you said you have an AC CDI so on the 2 wire plug both wires should be connected if one is not then the CDI is not getting power.

For the wire diagram that is posted in this thread from the generator (this is your stator) it shows 3 wires that go to the regulator and two wires that run out separate and the red one ends. The diagram is for a DC wired system on an AC fired system the red wire runs to the CDI on the 2 pin plug. In the diagram it shows it as not connected.

The CDI will have nothing to do with the engine turning over though

If the engine is not turning over then i would suspect the relay you mentioned or possibly the solenoid.

My system does not have a relay so im not much help in that department.

Use a multi-meter and check both sides of the solenoid one side should show 12 Volts the other should not.

Also check the lines going to the solenoid for a fuse depending on how your system is wired the front section may still have power even if the fuse it blown and the fuse may only control the back section. IE the click from the relay but nothing from the starter when you turn the key.
Lots of excellent detail. I got the engine to turn over. The plug for the auto-choke and the one for the solenoid are the same. Switched them and I get a consistent engine turn. Now for the real problem.

No spark. I have tried two new ignition coils and spark plugs. Also I’ve tried a test light and there is no power getting to the coil. So is this where the CDI comes in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1D6805F9-E12F-41CB-8B25-DFAE7DE40BA7.jpg (20.2 KB, 7 views)