View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 PM

Ok, back to topic a bit. Looking at jackshaft options, and I am leaning toward using a shorter 1" axle for it, but is that going to be overkill? I was leaning that direction due to the fact I can easily machine down the sprockets to the 520 size if they came with a 1" hub, our brake lathe happens to have a 1" shaft. Gearing and chain size pretty much rule out most of the pre assembled kits available, so I would be assembling the kit from individual parts. Planning to use pillow block bearings with built in lock collars, along with lock collars for the sprockets, obviously. Another option is using the weldable hubs, as long as the center hole is above 1" to cut the sprocket.

I like cutting the sprockets down on the lathe due to the fact I can control the heat build up, and avoid dis-tempering the teeth with a grinder. The only drawback, other than having access to the lathe, is some chatter when going over the teeth portion, but is easily fixed by reversing the direction of the sprocket, and doing a slow, light cut. Some polishing with an abrasive disc makes it look close to factory, and reproduces the original angle, which I am told, helps guide the chain under any deflection.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'