View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I picked up a "free" racing go kart that was in pieces but mostly complete and in good shape.I knew the axle(1-1/4"),sprocket holder,brake hub and bearings would save me a chunk of money! Cut the bearing holders off and welded them to the swingarm.

peace kart 005.jpg

Next item was getting the wheel size larger. Since I already made a great deal on a set of wheels and tires this was the perfect project to use them. The kart came with front disk brakes (parts incomplete, previous owner lost most of the parts) and a 3 bolt metric pattern. My new wheels & tires were 4 bolt pattern (front's are metric-rear's are 4"x 4), searched the internet for an adapter for the front's but no luck! So--- I found a chunk of 1/2" thick aluminum angle from a server tower and went to making adapters. The rear hubs are very common and easy to order

peace kart 003.jpg

peace kart 001.jpg

peace kart 002.jpg

The 3 bolt pattern just missed the 4 bolt pattern enough for me to tap the bolts- they actually came out pretty nice and spins pretty true for not going to a machine shop. I just used a hole saw & drill press,it took about 3 hrs. I couldn't have went shopping that quick! Mounted the front wheels to verify clearances and got lucky- the 1/2" adapter was all I needed for the 19" x 7" x 8" wheels/tires.

peace 5-12 002.jpg

peace 5-12 003.jpg

Welded up wider shock tabs & put on the Harley shocks. Now I have a rolling chassis

peace 5-12 004.jpg

Last edited by metalstudman1; 05-31-2020 at 11:46 PM.