View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Supporting Vendor

If the cam tensioner is out all the way and cannot be pushed in by hand, the pad is not gone the tensioner probably is not the problem. I would be careful on modifying it to work cause if it comes apart you could chuck the engine. If there are a lot of hours on it and especially if it has been run low on oil,or your pump is weak and not pumping enough to the top the chain can be streched.Removing a link is not wise cause if the chain is streached it is weak and if it gives out at high rpm's there goes the upper end.I would first make sure your getting plenty of oil on top. If so I would replace the timming chain, guides, and tensioner and you should be back in business. What would cost you $50-$70 now will cost much more if that chain breaks and the valves hit the piston at high rpm. Now your talking in addition a head and cylinder assy.I have built several engines that people have tried to do cheap fixes on and its 2-3 times more costly or more than if they fixed it right the first time.When the part wears beyond specs you have to replace it. TOM