View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Power User

finally the light at the end of the tunnel. had my drive/driven sprockets backwards from the rear to front jackshaft--primarily because i was working within space limitations and not thinking all the way through how the sprockets work with each other. So after a consult with my buddy the engineer and advice from a couple other buggiers, i got my head and sprockets on forwards. LOL

originally what i'd setup was a 4.2 final ratio combined with a problematic clutch issue = poor low end performance. then i fixed the clutch, revised the gearing and ended up with a 2.18 final ratio --- can you say Doh!

After a sawzall, grind and weld session (yay lots of dirty chain fun) today i tested an 8.07 ratio. 5th gear was all in by about 25-30 mph and 3700+- rpm. 1st gear goes about 3 to 5 feet ))))))))))

I can easily get the ratio to a 6.07, which is my next test target. besides that it's time for some plug inspection/possible rejet work, maybe some exhaust tweaking, a heat shield for the seat and final wiring to hopefully get a working regulator to provide some accessory and charging juice. I may revert to the 8.07 ratio for the final race in september.