Thread: My Spiderbox
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davcruz View Post
Well, I used RTV when I reassembled...Guess I should order a gasket.

Real bummer with our Spiderbox on Sat. The girls where driving it in the snow and i noticed the front wheels were both pointing out...not good! I quickly found that the BD HD spindle had a crack through the top part that the TRE mounts to and it was bent out toward the wheel at a rather severe angle. I pulled it off to weld it back up but have not had time to do it yet.
I guess the BD stuff isn't as HD as they say....

I'm sure this will get buried, but toyota uses 2 types of sealer for engines and such. One is a black, oil resistant, aerobic sealer, which means it requires air to cure, also known as form in place gasket, or FIPG for short. This is used for engine and coolant sealing applications. The other, which is exclusively used on transmissions, transfer cases, and differential carriers, is orange, and it is an anaerobic sealer, meaning air does not make it set. This results in a highly flexible seal, that never really cures to a hardness, which is good for components susceptible to drastic temp changes and torque loads. Both of these sealers are the densest sealers I have ever used, and when applied properly, it will seal damn near anything. I'm not sure on the cost, but I'm sure it's around $20/tube over the counter, and rivals Hondabond and Yamabond sealers.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'