View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
I agree with T3beatz I ran a 30mm for a while (jetted & re-jetted) and went back to the stock carb. Performance was better with the stock carb as it turned out!!!!
What mods had you done to the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
Yeah, but even after you upgrade most of the things you listed, the stock carb can provide enough umph to run the buggy.

and again I understand what your saying, there are a lot of restrictions, correct, but after addressing a few of the restrictions you listed a simple re-jet will still suffice.

Also who's to say the stock carb is moving it's maximum amount of air through it when doing some of these mods? the restriction lies a lot in the jetting when doing most of these mods.

Most guys don't even go that far into upgrading the engine unless you have tons of $$ to throw away, after doing all those upgrades you might as well have bought a 250ccc engine and swapped them out.
Sure the stock carb can run the engine, but when trying to squeeze maximum speed out of it, you want the maximum air flow possible. Not to mention other carbs offer a bunch more throttle response over the CV. So it's not just bigger is better.

This is a good read

http://www3.telus.net/MyScoot/CVcarb.html

As for the numerous engine mods, you are correct. But, you can do many of them in due time. $100 here, $100 there type stuff. You don't need to drop a small fortune for a new engine. And lets face, even if I had a 250, I'd be doing the exact same thing to that motor. It's just the way gear heads are....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonsperf View Post
I just ordered a Mikuni VM 26 606. The stock carb hits the crossbrace on the swing arm. Heard good things about this carb and parts are easy to come by.
As for the roller bearing in the clutch, Torrington makes flat radial needle roller assemblies that are much thinner than the MRP piece.
I've been leaning towards that carb lately too. It appears the VM 26-606 uses a 24mm throttle plate, and may be the reason guys are having success with it on the 150?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
The VM26 is an excellent choice. The others are correct in stating that a 30mm & 32mm are too big. My 150 has a 30mm but it also is a 207cc with a wild cam. I,m sure I'm even overkill with a 30mm since I instruct and also experienced on a 250cc with big bore kit and large grind Harley House cam in a ported and polished head, the stock carb performs better then either 30mm or 32mm carbs will. too big of carburation will hurt performance. I know of several running the VM26-606 on their modded engines and they perform great.
Tom take it for what it's worth, but that link I posted says the 30mm CV carb is about equivelent to a 26mm slide? If that is true, that is why that may be 1 of my viable options.