View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yea, excessive heat in the cvt can kill a belt. That crappy little filter in the cvt intake clogs really easy . Most don't know there is a filter there that needs to be checked. The stock filter is very restrictive and not much good. The best solution is to remove the filter totally from inside the rubber boot ,then get a piece of flexible hose from a shop vac, connect the hose to the boot and run it up the frame to head high.Use zip ties to hold it in place so it won't flop around. you can put a uni filter or old pantyhose material for a filter if you want but it's not really necessary. . I don't use any filters. Check the outlet vent in the cvt cover to make sure it is not clogs with mud or trash. I open up the outlet with a grinder to help air flow. The idea is to get as much free flowing air through the cvt as possible. I have been doing this for years with no heat or problems to the cvt.
On another note: Don't use kevlar belts! They are plenty strong alright and stand up to heat better but but they wear down the pulley surfaces. causes grooves to get cut in and will ruin the faces of the variator and clutch pulleys. The Gates belts are the best. If something should malfunction, It's better to have the belt go before something else gets damaged.