View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Contributor

The light weight in the L ramp give you that take off and keep the belt in a lower range untill the S ramp heavy rollers catch up and give you your speed.

I noticed on the red buggy (kid n me 20mm dr2) with the 8 in the L and the 9 in the S it has a high rpm take off and then it up shifts and moves out.

When I ran the 10/11 rollers it didnt have that take off and noticable up shift feel.

I think the 20mm rollers are working with more leverage and that is why the lighter 8/9 weights still work like the 11 gram sliders I am running in the blue buggy with the motorio 18mm dr2.

I first tried the 9/10.5 rollers first in the blue buggy and the rpm was at 7000 rpms any time the gas was to the floor. I then installed 10/11 sliders and droped the rpm to about 6200/6300rpm on take off.

The high rpm works great in the red buggy with the 58.5 155cc motor and the a12 cam.

I was able to shim the red buggy with the dr2 because of the stock variator fan, the kid n me dr2 didnt come with a fan pulley , before the shim the clutch would grab right at take off. So all the shim did was put the belt were it would be if it had the fan pulley with the 1mm raised lip on the inner fan pulley.

I got greedy and put a .80mm shim in the blue buggy with the motorio dr2 18x14 when I decided to try all 11 gram sliders to get the rpms down on the 183cc A12 motor because the torque was being wasted with the high rpms.

I ran it about 4 times up and down the street and it was slipping bad on take off, the clutch is weak but it was reving up hard then it would grab. I took it apart and removed the shim and the belt is glazed and the new variator has a wear groove from the belt slipping. It not destroyed but it would have been if it was left in there. I am going to replace the belt because it is now cracked in several places and it is not even a year old.

So be careful with this shim mod, if the belt is sitting too low in the variator it slips on take off and it will cook your belt and variator very quick, I ran it for like less than 5 minuets to do this damage.

Last edited by Johnny 5; 02-27-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: More info