View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 02:17 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I have always found that pumping the brakes when a system has been opened to bleed only leads to frustration for this reason. When you pump the brakes several times the fluid will push past the air in system,since the volume of air is greater then fluid, therefore the air will move further back toward the master, the opposite of what you want. The proper method is to start with the furthest from master working toward the closest eg. rear, right ft. left ft.. With the master full, open the rear bleeder then depress the brake pedal to push out the air, close bleeder and let off pedal. Repeat this step until you get a stream of fluid from that bleeder then continue to the next wheel repeating until all brakes have been blead. Now you can start the process of pumping the pedal to completely bleed out all remaining air. By doing it as stated since the bleeder valve is open there is no pressure on that part of the system therefore the fluid remains at the back side of the air and pushes the air out of the system. Now in the second part where you pump the brakes to remove the remaining air, the pressure will somewhat push fluid past the air but not to the extent of when the air volume was greater then the fluid volume in the line. Since now you have in the line mostly fluid you will have greater fluid pressure to push out the remaining air in system when the bleeder is opened. Hope I have not confused anyone..Pressure bleeders are great for large systems such as big trucks ect or when only one person is available. I have done many atv's bikes and buggies muself for years now using this proven method and have never had a problem.

TOM
Thx - I'm bleeding my brakes tomorrow, this was a helpful read
Mike R