View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Lurker

Default 150 carbide don't start

Just signed up and wan't to say this is a great site. The information is very helpful.

Ok, my problem is with my sons 150 carbide. a few weeks ago he was riding it and ran out of gas. I put gas in it and it wouldn't start. kept on trying until the batt was dead. when i finally got a chance to look at it i can't find anything. I checked to make sure it was getting gas, it was. i checked spark nice blue spark. tried a small shot of ether, didn't help. cleaned the carb twice. so if i crank the motor for sometimes as long as minute and fiddle just right with the throttle it will start. when it's running it revs fine and sounds good no popping or anything and has normal power. but it will not idle down low and if you try to start it back up it's the same as when it's cold lots of cranking and fiddling with the throttle. I say a minute of cranking but sometimes you just can't get it at all. i've checked all the wiring, valve lash, new plug, fuel pump/petcock. and finally just put a new carb on with no change. I did a compression check and came up with 75 lbs. I'm thinking this is not enough and that possibly the lean condition when it ran out of gas may have hurt something. Also the breather hose off the valve cover really huffs alot of smoke during the cranking but when it starts it seems to stop.

What should compression be?
Can you do a leakdown on these engines? procedure?

Any other ideas?

I believe i bought this in fall of 2008, my son does run it pretty hard but from what i'm reading on here nothing abusive he's 12. And if there is any credibility to the speedos on these things it only has like 203 miles.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help and again for the great site.