View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Power User

Given that this is MSM's wife's buggy, i think it'll survive fine-and i'm pretty sure she doesn't baby it either. now for MSM's, own ride, i would think that a 5/8 dia. axle just isn't enough for jumping/rough riding. even with going through both walls and a thinner box tube, sooner or later if it doesn't break it will likely bend upwards. MSM is definitely correct in that the side walls and a 90 degree angle close to the axle/weld of the smaller diameter box tube will help. the larger box size probably did help it flex on the one wall surface contributing to it breaking the weld.
One of the reason's i went with a golf cart hub is the 1 inch axle plus its 1.25-inch attachment diameter. even that is going to get gusseted to the tubes since i can't go through it. Those axles hold up six 8v batteries, up to four riders, the electric motor and transmission--then the modders begin to add lift kits etc. and they still survive (i've been a longtime buggies gone wild member for their stock tech help when i had a fleet of 10 club cars)-- a heck of a lot more weight than these karts.