View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 06:54 AM
Power User

master;
A bit lengthy, but it's a workaround if you encounter the same issue.

vertical mount provides full suspension travel without worrying about bind. I ran into bind a lot with a horizontal mount and smaller heims even with high misalignment spacers.

I was able to get full lock out of the heims.
When i first built mine, I added 11 teeth to my rack (offset yerf spiderbox type) and cut them to position it on center. So my steering can run waaay more turn to lock than a stock yerf.

When i made the new arm and heim mounts, i put them at 90 degrees on the arm tube, which was a mistake. I had ground the arm mount holes on the tabs to have them on an angle and forget to set them that way.

At first I got about 75 percent lock with the standard cone spacers i ordered with the heims. I could have gone with high misalignment spacers to fix the problem.
4 reasons not to:
1. Time.
2. Expense.
3. added width between the tabs would force the end of the arm closer to the tire and make it weaker.
4. they fit in the heim bore and reduce the bolt diameter. #4 reason has caused failures everywhere i used them albeit with 12mm heims going down to 10s. bent bolts and crushed/distorted spacers.

To get to full lock, i put 2 cone spacers back to back on a 5/8ths bolt and nutted them from each side. Cut the head off the bolt and put it in my drill press. Ran my grinder on the OD to reduce it as the heim body hit it at full angle. That got me a few degrees back, but then the heim's bore edge made contact with the angle on the cone spacer. Same drill press setup, ran a carbide taper burr and ball burr on the angle of the cone and made it concave. end result--full lock.

Had I mounted the tabs on an angle leading forward to the inside of the frame and the arm lower with the tabs heading more to a 45 degree upward angle, there would have been no interference with the spacers to full lock.
However, i have a very small amount of area to work the steering arm in before it will foul inside the arms at full lock and droop--dangerous deal, I nearly rolled it in the last race when that happened. forgot my misalignment spacer during the first repair and the bolt end dropped 1/2" lower out of the steering arm and locked up in the lower a-arm.

I'm actually building new spindles, the axles are slightly off from each other on the pair i have. Using the same design and materials, just correcting the axles and steering arms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaw3966.jpg (80.8 KB, 13 views)