View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Supporting Vendor

Timing advance in a cdi is mapped according to vehicle. The performance CDI's are mapped for scooters which are much lighter and only drive one much lighter wheel. Being the buggy is much heavier than a scooter, driving 2 wheels with a 20 pound axle the rpm's the buggy will need advance will be much different than the scooter since the scooter puts more of the engines HP to the road as compared to the buggy. Now back to the old AC cdi's some performance cdi's would give you some performance gain since the buggy come with a scooter mapped cdi. However the late model dc buggies due to EPA have to have their own mapping in order to pass certification. The timing comes in at different rpm as compared to the much lighter scooter. Unless you go with an adjustable dc cdi there will be no benefit and will most likely hurt performance some. The adjustable cdi' work great but due to using a dash pot for adjustment it's just a matter of time due to shock the timing will move and adjustment will be lost and they are expensive. I looked into MSD building one for the buggy but unless there are huge quantities ordered the cost would be somewhere in the area of $500.00. They don't use the flawed dashpot but instead a laptop is used to map timing events. The customer I spoke of in a previous post had a performance cdi on his buggy. He brought it to me with a no start after setting up for a year while deployed over seas. He was telling me how even though it had little run time on it it was lacking power after installing the cdi. The dealer he perchased the buggy and cdi from talked him into the hot coil, uni, rejet and iridium plug. Shortly after he was deployed. I cleaned his carb and stuck a stock ASW dc cdi on it and he was pleased with how it performed