Thread: Head porting...
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Contributor

2 stroke and 4 stroke porting are like apples and oranges, 2 entirely different animals. My 2 stroke porting experience is so limitted, and never resulted in any earth shatterring performance increase, that I wouldn't even consider doing it for myself. If I do a polaris swap, sometime in the future, and decide to have some performance porting done, it will definitely be done by an established shop, with a known Polaris background. The actual tear down and rebuild, would present no problem, but the porting....well like I said.

4 stroke porting, on the other hand, possibly I do make it sound too simple, started doing it, 40 odd years back, and never have been too far away from it for any great amount of time. When picking up a new head, that I've never done before, there are certain things I know to look for, several variables that have proven themselves to work, time and again. And while I no longer have my flow bench, to measure results, and show print outs, I've not yet had a head in the last 10 years or so, that the ole "seat of the pants, dyno, couldn't feel an improvement in. I wish I could have said that when I first started off, cause I, like many before me, paid my dues with some heads that were worse than they started off...all part of learning. Glad that is 40 years behind me now...LOL