View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Questions about starting an older GY6

1. Do I have to install the fuel tank/luggage rack assembly and attach fuel line/vacuum line to the carb before testing for spark and ignition? It hasn't run in several years.

After some minor repairs on damaged wires, cleaning the varnish out of the carb and installing the new battery, I found the ignition key and starter motor operate very well; with no spark plug installed, the engine spins freely. When I can get SWMBO out in the shop with me to operate the ignition key, I want to check for spark, and then would like to spray fuel into the intake to see if the engine will fire. The machine is supported on jack stands, and the tires, wheels and drive chain are removed. I'm just not sure about those fuel delivery and vacuum hoses from the fuel tank, and if the engine will fire with those hoses disconnected. The electrical wires from the choke mechanism are connected.

2. I tried to determine if there is any grease/fluid in the external reverse but could find nothing by probing with a small plastic tube, in either the fill or drain port. I bought some appropriate grease in a squeeze tube, and wonder how much to install in the reverse mechanism.

3. I think this is a machine made by Blade; where can I locate a complete wiring diagram, including speedometer and other miscellaneous components? There are a couple of disconnected wires and one two wire plug in the harness that I cannot find the other end of.

Thanks in advance.