Thread: Build me a CVT
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

The performance variator will make a difference since the pulleys are larger but the type of ramping is what is most important and different performance manufacturers use different ramping. Many are designed for scooters which will react differently than on ATV's or mostly buggies. Now there just is no magic bullet when it comes to tuning a cvt. You will tune it differently for steep hills, sand or mud as compared to normal trail riding. The only thing that will push you past that problem is if the motor has some extreme power. Keep in mind that these engines were designed originally for the much lighter scooter. The 6mm or 8mm stroke kit will greatly improve the over all performance but you will want to go with a long rod stroke kit which will come with a longer cylinder requiring no spacers. The short rod uses the normal cylinder height which allows the piston to travel extremely low in the cylinder sleeve (weakest part of sleeve). Now for the clutch burning out, if put under a huge load it will slip and heat up and eventually burn up. The only way to remedy this is to build more power into the engine with a better clutch. Prior to my recent build I ran 12gr. rollers. I now run the stock torque spring, and 16gr. rollers with no stress on the cvt.