Thread: Twin talons
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Supporting Vendor

well im learning everyday and the brain is constantly going. i love doing the cages causes it's where you get to inject style as a builder.
as far as the gauges go, i believe and am learning it depends on the application. the 400 is about 80/20 .095/.083 it tips the scales at 900lbs. it scoots great and gets airborn w/ no problem. on that buggy safety will never be an issue, i threw alot of steel into that, probably too much......got carried away ,b ut that was my first so i was learning.
the crosshammer i decided to go .083 on the main cabin hoops and down tubes, and .065 on anything that was non safety/structural to keep the weight down. i was just more strategic in the approach to keep the less is more approach.
i use 1/14" round, 1" round and 1" sq. .......thats what bender dies i have.
on these the speeds will never exceed the point of the 400 or 250 and weight is crucial on a 150. the main hoops and down tubes are .083 and everything else will be .065 . this will insure that in the worst case, a roll over that the driver will be protected and the weight will still be acceptable.
when building cages diagonals and bends are your friends strength wise, Ts and perpendiculars are not. that is something that will cause a greater deal of damage even if it does protect driver in the event it does rollover cuz it will cause a domino effect. all in all better than a bolt on cage.
as far as style i guess i just keep trying to keep up something different you wont see from a factory bolt on cage.

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX