View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Supporting Vendor

Even though the article stated that the VM26 may have the same venturi size as the 30mm, this is still like comparing apples to oranges. If you go back to the part he says that the 26mm stock carb has a 22mm opening @ the air filter end this is done to acheive the most efficient air flow so as to properly and efficiently operate the slide since it does operate off the preasure differentials. The slide carb is a totally different animal since the slide is a manual process. For performance purposses the slide carb is always the better way to go. Now a VM26 on a moderately modded engine will as well be too much carb. It all comes down to how many CFM's the engine will produce. Why this is not done on the powersport side as in the automotive side I really do not know but I'm sure there is good reason for this. The fuel delivery of any carb is determined by the amount and volume of air the engine will suck. Put too big CFM or MM carb on the vehicle it will hurt performance. My son has a 200cc stroked engine with 4 valve head and we found that a stock carb wasn't enough, the 32mm was too much but the 30mm fit the needs just right. I can go on for hours and prefer discussing rather than typing, but there are correct and incorrect ways to mod an engine. Many go by the hype and mod the incorrect way wasting money in the end. If we all had access to a dyno and flow bench we could make a near perfect decission on what works best with what, but I don't think most of us have that access, so we find our way by reading many articles on a specific subject then it is trial and error. One thing is for sure, a cheap build costs more in the long run, and please don't mistaken this for a prudent build cause the pendilum swings both ways you can put a bunch of money up front into an engine and still come nowhere near the results for the money you spent.