Thread: Help please.
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 11:07 AM
Heavy Contributor

I'm not being argumentative, I just don't see the correlation to a 3 speed manual transmission?

The gear ratio on a cvt is directly effected by where the belt rides on each pulley, as long as the rollers allow the pulley to travel it's full range of motion how can it effect top end?

I get that the lighter rollers will effect when the pulley starts to move, so that will effect when the belt is engaged, much like a high stall torque converter in an automotive transmission.

I understand the higher the RPM is when the belt is engaged, the better low end power you'll have. But as long as the RPM is high enough to allow the rollers to allow full range of motion, won't the final gear ratio be the same no matter the weight of the roller?

Kind of like your 3 speed analogy, this would be like changing first gear to a granny gear but leaving the 3rd gear ratio at 1 to 1

Lets go with 7500 RPM, both pulleys at full range of motion, one open, one closed. Shouldn't the top speed at 7500 RPM be the same regardless of roller weight?

I mean 7500 RPM is 7500 RPM, and the belt is riding at the top of one pulley and at the bottom of the other. Doesn't this mean the final ratio is the same as it was with the 14g rollers?

And again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand whats happening. I agree that most report a loss of top end when changing rollers, but this was not my experience, nor was it the OP's experience.

Are you saying the lighter rollers don't allow full range of motion from the primary? If that's the case, then yes the final gear ratio would be different if the belt never reaches the top of one pulley and the bottom of the other. But again, this has not been my experience.