View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Yota ,nice calculations and fabrications , I can see the love in your work , ------- I think you will be very happy with the output of that ATC200 , I had a 1982 Honda 200 three wheeler and it was very fast @55mph , and when in lower gear it has a lot of power -------- there were a few different variations of that engine , some had electric start and some didn't , one had a reverse shifter built into the right side the engine right in front the chain sprocket , maybe that is something that can be swopped , some had reverse and no lever on case , I seen a pic of a complete 200 ATC on Gulfport Mississippi Craigs list last week for $85 -------------- I do believe the engine I am using in my build is the same engine with a few mods to the tranny ,it is the 1986 Honda TRX200SX , it has reverse , pull and electric start and a semi auto 5 forward with S/L ( super low 1st gear ) and this ATV engine will do 55 as a ATV I know cause I rode it before using it and have another ATV just like it running now -------- I hang out on the Hondaatvforums and I 'd bet those guys could tell you a lot about the starter swop over and the charging system , I would think if there is no battery then it could be ac and not dc , maybe take a look at the headlight bulbs markings , I just found this thread and started reading , it is going to take a few reads to get thru all of it , you may be way ahead of where I am reading
I actually have found the parts list for converting to electric start, but I really don't want to split the cases again I have looked up the add on conversion kit, which is still available, but at 300 clams, I'll have to pass, for now. The model trike you are referring to with the hi/low/rev is the 200es, which is shaft drive. That one has an external box where the sprocket should be, and again, I'm sure splitting the case open is needed. They also used that same set up on the trx200, but not the sx model. I also had an '86 200sx that I gave away

I already purchased a Honda regulator to convert to DC accessory power with a battery, in the repair manuals, it actually shows the option for a battery add on with just splicing in a regulator between the lights and the stator.

Recently I came across some info on a trike site, and they stated the single pole stator in the ATC's, can put out roughly 5-6A. Nothing wildly amazing, but enough to comfortably run an LED bar upfront and small LED tail/brake light. I am going to put the head and tail on a switch to keep from robbing the engine of power the whole time as well.

I am tossing the idea of an electric reverse around. With so many boneyards around here, I can likely have the starter and gear for less than $50. Finding one that isn't freaking huge is the issue.

I believe the 200sx was one of the units that came with the reverse inside the case, which again, I kick my own @ss for giving mine away now.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'