View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
I don't think that's going to fly on a Tecumseh. A lot of engines actually have a generator setup on them. In fact, even most of the generic honda clones do but not the old tecumsehs as a general rule. HOWEVER...I did have one that did have the generator circuit on it. Do you have any wires coming out anywhere?
Afternoon everyone, as a newer go kart owner looking to learn as much as possible and make some upgrades to a used kart I just bought, I joined the forum and found this thread. I have a smaller kart than y'alls with a clone engine, a Central Machinery 6.5hp made by Harbor Freight Tools. I do have a couple of wires unused as noted in the above quote. I'd like to run some headlights, a tail light and a stereo. I realize that not all of these will run off of the engine's generator circuit. What kind of amperage will the engine put out? Do I try to use whatever power the engine will give me and supplement with a battery or just run it all off of a battery? If I run anything off of the engine's generator, that will increase the workload of the engine right? I don't plan on doing enough with the kart to flip it but will be installing a rollbar and keeping the warnings about a flipped kart with a battery in mind. Thanks for the feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gokart1.jpg (81.1 KB, 23 views)